Creating motorcycle routes is fun, but can also be very time consuming. Below I describe my way of working.
Please leave a comments at the end if you have tips or ideas to improve my proces.
Needs revision for the TomTom rider: The TT 550 works preferably with tracks (.gpx) instead of pins (.itn) and also does not show the pins.
Loading all POI's as POI's in a .ov2 file (which can be generated with this tool) can overcome this lack of functionality.
What do you need?
- Google My Maps (you’ll need a Google Account)
- My Route App (MRA) (to be used with a free or paid subscription, based on your preferences)
- Travel Plan generator (on this website)
- Any Navigation system or Navigation App (MRA can generate any format you need)
What does it deliver?
- Route files per day (in any format)
- A travel plan (example), including info on extra loops, cut-off routes (in case the weather changes for the worst), POI's (Points of Interests), gas stations along the route (if not to be missed in unpopulated areas) and any other relevant info (food, drinks, ferries, etc)
Below some assumptions (and advice) for my routes. Does not mean you can do it differently, depending on your driving style and personal preferences.
- We use a average driving time per day for of 5 to 5,5 hours per day
- Every (day)route should have some short-cuts, in case weather changes for the bad or other reasons of delay (like a flat tyre)
- Preferably (day)routes have some additiona loops (preferably at the end)
- We sleep in hotels/hostals/B&B's and reserve them with 24h cancelation policy (searching in remote area's for a place to sleep is just a wast of time)
- We avoid city's as much as posible (always cost way more time than expected)
- We avoid highways, but if the alternative is only a route through dens area's, we use them to make some kilometers